Mayor Michael B. Coleman invites you to celebrate the holiday season and Grand Illumination of Bicentennial Park and the Scioto Mile on Friday, December 5, 2014.
Enjoy traditional carols, a stunning light show illuminating all of Bicentennial Park and a special appearance by Santa Claus! In the spirit of giving, support the Empty Bowls project by purchasing a piece of handcrafted pottery and receive a bowl of hearty chicken and dumpling soup compliments of Milestone 229. All proceeds benefit the Mid-Ohio Foodbank. Attendees arriving between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. can enjoy FREE parking at COSI. Download your free parking voucher HERE.
Complimentary holiday treats and hot cocoa courtesy of Tim Hortons will be available immediately following the ceremony.
5:00 p.m. – Holiday Activities
6:00 p.m. – Ceremony and Light Show
6:30 p.m. – Meet & Greet with Santa
For the past 17 years, the Columbus Recreation and Parks Department has coordinated Empty Bowls, a program to benefit the Mid-Ohio Foodbank. As part of the initiative, Columbus area children and adult artists have created handcrafted ceramic bowls that are available for purchase this evening. For a $10 donation, you are invited to select a piece of handcrafted pottery and receive a bowl of hearty chicken and dumpling soup, compliments of Milestone 229. Soup is available without the ceramic bowl for a $5 donation. All proceeds benefit the Mid-Ohio Foodbank.
- Look for COSI’s mascot RATiO scurrying around the park with discount coupons
- Meet BalletMet Columbus’ classic holiday favorites, Clara and the Nutcracker
- Stop by Mad River Mountain for giveaways, ski literature and discount coupons
- Transform into your favorite holiday character with A Face Painting Mom
- Make a Best Christmas Pageant Ever craft with Columbus Children’s Theatre
- Stop by car2go Columbus for free registration + 30 free minutes of drive time for new members. Learn about how car2go carshare works for you, and join the 16k+ other members in Columbus
- Catch the Holiday Elf Jugglers cycling around the fountain
- Take your picture with the snow family ice carving and catch a live carving demonstration
- Stop by the Columbus Blue Jackets tent for exciting prizes and giveaways
- Visit with Santa and enjoy refreshments courtesy of Tim Hortons
About the Lights
The Grand Illumination continues throughout the holidays and features decorations and lighting in Bicentennial Park, along the Scioto Mile Promenade and City Hall grounds. In keeping with the city’s green initiatives, all seasonal decorations feature energy efficient LED lighting, including more than 200,000 LED lights on 150 trees. The Scioto Mile Fountain presented by the American Electric Power Foundation will come alive for the winter with holiday imagery projected onto the fountain “blossom.” The fountain will be illuminated with large lighted spheres suspended from each of the five fountain “halos.”
Lights will twinkle until January 25, 2015 in celebration of the NHL All Star Game held in Nationwide Arena.