Vibrant Park with Beaux-Arts Classic Arch
This park at 218 West Street in the Arena District, also referred to as “Arch Park” was developed by Nationwide Insurance after the demolition of the Ohio State Penitentiary, which occupied the site from 1834-1998. The park is dedicated to honor Dimon R. McFerson, Chairman and CEO of Nationwide Insurance from 1992-2000.
Size: 2.21 acres
About McFerson Commons
McFerson Commons looks out onto North Bank Park to the south and Nationwide Arena to the north. A significant part of the Arena District as well as the Scioto Mile, the park is host to a long list of events and outdoor activities, from kickball in the summer to ice skating in the winter.
The Historic Arch at McFerson Commons
The central point of the park is an arch salvaged from the old Columbus Union Train Station, demolished in 1979 to make way for the Greater Columbus Convention Center. The arch was designed by the legendary Daniel H. Burnham of Chicago in the Beaux-Arts Classicism style in 1893. It came from the third and final Columbus Union Station, which was located at High Street and what is now Nationwide Boulevard; the first such station dated back to the dawn of railroad travel in Columbus in 1850.
Recreation at the Commons
McFerson Commons is a popular spot for one-time special events, casual sports leagues and annual festivals. Among the things taking place on any given day at the park are:
- Games played by the Arena District Kickball League, weekday evenings beginning in August
- Columbus Blue Jackets Winter Park, an NHL-sized ice rink open for a month in the winter
- The opening ceremonies and race start for Pelotonia, an annual bike ride benefiting cancer research at The Ohio State University
- Viewing of the Red, White & Boom! fireworks display
- A variety of 5Ks and other races, including the PetPromise Rescue Run, Columbus Breakthrough for Brain Tumors 5K and Bull Run
- Flag football games
Location & Info
218 West Street
Columbus, OH 43215
7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Ample meter parking, surface lots, and parking garages are located in the area.
Park Reservations: 614.645.3335
To find out more about offerings at McFerson Commons, contact us today!